Monday, March 17, 2008

Dangers of Skype

This cannot be tweeted because there is no way to condense it to 140 characters. So think of this as a long tweet and a warning.

Tonight I was teaching a class to other teachers. We were learning to create wikis and exploring Discovery Education Streaming. I decided to break things up a bit and started a skype chat with my friend behind me. We were playing with various new skype icons and were complaining about sitting so long.

I got up to go help someone with a download and my friend called me back to the computer. All of a sudden, under my login, I read, "Aren't you guys supposed to be in class?" I did not type it. No one in the room got up, went to my computer and typed it. AHHHHHH

We waited for another response. nothing Finally my friend got an idea, she types back into the chat and asks if this is my husband. It was and then he continued to antagonize us.

The warning for all skypers out there.... never leave your home computer logged into skype when you are not home! You never know what will happen. The only saving grace is I had just shut the projector off!

2 comments:

jepcke said...

Lori,

LOL! I love this for 4 reasons:

1. How great that your husband uses Skype!

2. Thank you for showing the 'human side' of presenting to adult learners.

3. I applaud your husband for his playfulness.

4. It's a tip I will definitely use! :)

From this title, I expected a much different post!

Bobby said...

This reminds me of something that keeps on happening to my bosses at work. When one of my bosses hooks her laptop up to a projector to show us a presentation, sometimes an email comes, and the preview of the email appears at the bottom of the screen. Luckily nothing crazy has been emailed to them during a big presentation. But...I think I'd look into disabling that thing. Ha ha. Sorry for the long comment. Nice blog. I followed in links from twitter.